Qua, 27 de fevereiro de 2019, 10:59

Frequently Asked Questions
Coordination of International Relations (CORI)

1. Is there a maximum number of students to be accepted for a semester exchange program?
There is not a preset maximum number. However, the Federal University of Sergipe (UFS) reserves the right to check the availability of places in the courses requested by foreign students.

2. Is the possibility of exchange programs restricted to certain courses?
No. Students may apply to enroll in any course offered by UFS. (See link: https://www.sigaa.ufs.br/sigaa/public/curso/lista.jsf?nivel=G&aba=p-graduacao)

3. How many times per year can exchange students be received?
It is possible to enroll in two moments of the year, and the academic year of UFS is organized on a two semesters basis.

4. Can students begin their studies at UFS in the first or second semester of the year?

Yes. Students may request their exchange for any of the two semesters, including for both together.

5. Is it allowed to enroll in just one semester (six months)? Or is it possible to enroll in two semesters (one year)?
Foreign students may enroll for one or, at most, two semesters.

6. If students, besides the academic activities at UFS, get a practical internship, can they extend their stay?

The students may stay for up to one academic year, and if they are given a practical internship, this period may be extended to the duration of the internship.

7. Does the study occur completely in the Portuguese language? What is the minimum level of Portuguese required?
Teaching occurs only in Portuguese. Level B1 is recommended for foreign students.

8. Which sector is responsible for the organization and administrative operation of exchange programs at the Federal University of Sergipe? How can I contact it?

Coordination of International Relations (CORI)

E-mail: internacional.ufs@gmail.com

Phone: +55 79 3194-6495

9. What steps should be taken to apply for an exchange program at UFS?

  1. Students must contact the Agreement coordinator to request information about the offer of a particular department in which they wish to enroll for one or at most two semesters;
  2. Students should create a study proposal including the number of subjects to be studied and that states the semester in which they wish to begin their studies at UFS;
  3. A letter of presentation (containing proof of enrollment to their home institution and their authorization to study abroad) must be sent by email to the Agreement coordinator and to the Coordination of International Relations (CORI);
  4. The Agreement coordinator takes the study plan to the Departments in which the students wish to study in order to be approved;
  5. The Agreement coordinator requests an official letter of institutional acceptance (UFS) to the Coordination of International Relations (CORI) through an electronic memorandum.
  6. After disclosing the Academic Calendar of the semester in which the students wish to begin their exchange, students request, through the institutional acceptance letter and other documents required by the representative body of the Federative Republic of Brazil, the Visa considering the beginning of the semester as informed in the Academic Calendar, either at the Embassy or at the Consulate General of Brazil. More information can be found on the Embassy website.
  7. If this service is also offered in the appropriate representative bodies, it is recommended that the students also request the issuance of the National Registry of Foreigners (RNE) and Individual Taxpayer Registry (CPF); If the service is not offered, the students should request them after their arrival in Brazil on the following links:
  8. After the publication of the subjects to be offered by the courses, the coordinator and/or CORI will inform the students, so that they can choose the subjects they wish to study;
  9. CORI verifies the availability of vacancies in these subjects and confirms them for the students who later can enroll online;
  10. If students do not obtain a copy of the CPF from representative organs of the Federative Republic of Brazil in their home country, they must immediately present themselves to CORI, who will advise them on how to request the document. With the number of the CPF, CORI provides, immediately after, the enrollment in the courses chosen by the students and / or made available by the Department.
  11. In this case, the students must present, a) copies of the passport pages (main page and the page containing the Visa). In case the passport does not inform, it is also required b) a copy of a document containing the parents’ names (eg, Birth Certificate) and c) a copy of the Certificate of Health Insurance Abroad;

10. Does UFS require a minimum of study hours per week? Or should the students’ home university establish that?

UFS does not make any specific requirements for minimum study hours. This definition is set by the home university.

11. Is it possible to merge courses and shifts (morning course with afternoon and evening)?

Yes, students are free to choose academic activities in different courses and shifts: morning shift (7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.), afternoon shift (1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.) and night shift (6:50 p.m. -22: 20hs).

12. When do students need to indicate their interest in registration?

At any time of the year interested students may contact the Covenant Manager and contact CORI to request information and to begin preparing and arranging documents. The definition of the period of the Visa to be requested happens as soon as the Academic Calendar is published by the Federal University of Sergipe. Note: Academic calendars are accessible at: https://www.sigaa.ufs.br/sigaa/public/centro/lista.jsf?aba-p-academico

13. Which documents do students need to provide and submit (they can be digitized, attached and sent via e-mail) to the Agreement coordinator and to CORI to be able to make an exchange program at the Federal University of Sergipe?


  1. Study plan developed by the student;
  2. Proof of the agreement with the home university
  3. Authorization by the home university to take one (or two) semesters abroad;
  4. Visa;
  5. Proof of Health Insurance Abroad for the period of the exchange program;
  6. National Registration of Foreigners (RNE);
  7. Individual Taxpayer Registry (CPF);
  8. Copy of Passport;
  9. Copy of a document stating the names of parents / guardians.

14. Does UFS offer support for the students who need to look for housing?

UFS does not offer any institutional support in the search for housing. However, CORI may assist students in the search for housing.

15. Is there a virtual space for foreign students studying at UFS?


16. Is there institutional support for access to the university restaurant?

Yes, CORI advises foreign students to obtain the Student Card which will give them access to the University Restaurant (RESUN) that serves meals with discount for students.

17. Is there institutional support for access to the University library?

Yes, CORI advises foreign students to obtain the Student Card that will give them access to the University Library (BICEN - http://bibliotecas.ufs.br/pagina/152-bibliotecas-da-ufs).

18. Is there institutional support to obtain the Student Card for Public Transportation?

Yes, CORI advises foreign students to obtain the Student Card that will allow the use of public transportation paying reduced fees for students (http://aracajucard.com.br/escolar/cadastramento/)

19. Is there institutional support for participation in activities offered as Extension of the Federal University of Sergipe (use of sports spaces, courses etc.?)?

Yes, CORI, upon request, informs foreign students about current offers and possible access to the activities offered as Extension (for example, use of UFS sports grounds, etc.)

Atualizado em: Qua, 27 de fevereiro de 2019, 11:40
Notícias UFS